Greater Manchester Combined Authority (GMCA) appointed WRM to provide technical consultancy and procurement management services in the contracting of a treatment solution for some 200,000 tonnes per annum of co-mingled food and garden waste. WRM’s scope of work involved working in partnership with financial and legal co-professionals on a Design Build Operate (DBO) procurement which followed the termination of the 25-year PFI contract. The scope was extended to include strategy option modelling work that informed a change in procurement approach, and the letting go of a four-year mercantile interim contract.
WRM’s experience and understanding of the organics sector and high level of service was notable throughout the procurement. The flexibility shown by the WRM team following the change in procurement approach was instrumental to concluding the contract in a timely manner.
Due to the long term nature of the procurement, Walker Resource Management provided consultancy support on a secondment basis, effectively working as a client representative for GMCA. This approach enabled WRM to drive the project and to assume a strategic level of decision making, whilst drawing on expertise from the wider WRM team as required.
How WRM delivered the procurement
- Procurement Management: we were responsible for maintaining the project programme whilst ensuring strict compliance with procurement regulations.
- Procurement Strategy: A strategic review of the procurement was delivered following a government announcement during the project Our team formulated the framework approach following GMCA’s decision to change the procurement scope.
- Document Preparation and Management: including drafting technical and procedural documents and collating wider advisory input.
- Client and Advisor Liaison: we assumed the central role in coordinating a team of 20 from GMCA, it’s partner authorities, and financial and legal co-professionals.
- Tenderer Communication: WRM staff managed and undertook all tenderer communications on behalf of GMCA. This included procurement portal management and chairing two rounds of competitive dialogue meetings.
- Technical Review: including management and scrutiny of project data room and technical challenge of supplier information during dialogue.
- Tender Evaluation: from initial SQ responses, to detailed BDO proposals, and latterly technical and commercial evaluation of call-off submissions made under the framework.
Contract Award Notifications: including drafting all successful and unsuccessful supplier notifications.
- Closure Support: working with GMCA’s legal advisors to concluded and execute contracts documentation.